Saturday, August 25, 2012

Update#28 : Gliding, Upwards

I took it a bit easier for the past few days, but still did some work. After the 'launch' of the star map Region Map I found a couple of bugs and conjured up areas for improvement.

So, I fixed the bugs. Then I added a new control panel (normally minimized) called Render Control. The idea is to give options to make it easier for the browser to draw the stars spots; in short, faster map refresh when seeing a lot of stars on the screen. There are 4 options: Automatic, Low, Medium, High. 'Low' is for faster map draw, 'High' is for nicer looking star orbs, 'Medium' is in between, and with 'Automatic' it will try to decide and give you the best look vs speed. I still need to tweak the numbers to be sure that the Automatic setting is practical, but I won't know until I get to try it myself on my computers.

To be perfectly honest I'm not sure how much it will help; some feedback on that would be much appreciated!


Sooo yeah I deviated from what I said before on my plan of what's next, adding more to the starmap Region Map first instead of doing the other stuff I said... but it seemed important to do before I moved on to next steps; especially the bug fixing! But now I think I really can move on to the other stuff I had planned.

An additional idea came to mind, since the Region Map is a bit complicated, that maybe I should start compiling some Manual/Help pages soon, to describe all the features and functions on each page. In addition to this, there's also the option of using a wikia site to describe everything as it comes up, which also leaves the option for players to add more user-friendly tips and suggestions.

Ah, decisions, decisions... decisions that I can make later! I have a busy day tomorrow and it's well past time-to-sleep.



Revealed : Most planetoids will be generated completely at random. However, depending on various properties they may end up in generalized groups like 'ice world' or 'volcanic world' ... if our planet Venus was in the game, it would probably be classified as a 'volcanic fire planet' and would be very very difficult to colonize. I'm not sure yet if I'd put on labels like that or just let the properties alone determine the colonization requirements, but the ideas exist and will certainly affect the game. Some worlds might be very difficult to colonize, but if they're rich in precious resources then it could be worth the investment. Was that a 'reveal' or a babble?

No comments:

Post a Comment