Friday, June 29, 2012

Update#11 : Let There Be Light!

Friday, the twenty-ninth day of June in the year noted as two-thousand and twelve.

And so it came to pass that the stars in the heavens began truly to form and coalesce, their warm glow sure to set the skys alight, and pave the way for the formation of mineral-rich worlds from which great civilizations will be born.

What I mean by this, is, that I've finally completed a fully functional Star Generator. It is a tool that is built by several parts working together, and what it does is it easily creates stars for me. Lots of stars. In this case, they're limited to being placed in a spherical form, but, now that this is working nicely it should be a matter of mere geometry to create generators that will set stars in other patterns.

However.

Those additional star generators can wait for later. The next step is to display the stars in all their pixellated glory. My next project block for a while will be developing the mapping pages and methods. My intention is to allow 3-D viewing of the stars in a local area. I don't think we'll be spinning cameras in smooth 3-D but I do intend to allow some camera rotation to view stars from a certain angle, and I would also like to add the ability for users to create a 'default' camera view, so that when they go to the map, their will be shown a view that is most relevant to them at the time based on what they're doing in the game.

One step at a time, though... star map: show me some stars  =)


Looking back a couple steps... It's been really frustrating to get the star generator fully working. Code bugs, code inefficiency, datainefficiency, more bugs, more inefficiency, more big bugs.... and yardwork! It's been a taxing job, this star generator.... I hope that the planet generator won't be so buggy as I put it together... but it will probably be even more complicated, so, there's another week of agony to look forward to, yay~


Time for a little break and a snack :3

No comments:

Post a Comment