Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Update#0 : Then to Now

I hate the word 'blog' but I guess that's irrelevant right now.

Here is the beginning of my development log, not sure if I'll stick with it but at least here is a record of me trying to!  Today I've pretty much finished the message system, minus the ability to start a new conversation with another player; practically speaking, that will be dependant on having a way for players to find another player to send a message to. That doesn't exist yet. Fortunately, that should be fairly easy, and I'll be doing that tonight/tomorrow. How does anything work now? Having access to the database, I've been able to insert some messages directly (with some effort required for proper formatting!) to allow me to view and reply to messages, and a few more manipulations. The creation of a new message should be mostly copy-and-paste from the Reply Message page, so no problem!  This message system has taken about 1 week longer to create than I expected it to, but I think it's unique and cool for a browser-based game. I hope you all like it :)

Of course, even when I have it working, there's little else to see on the site, there's a lot to do before I can start to open alpha/beta testing, so I'm afraid I won't be posting up any links yet. Sorry!

You might be wondering what this game is? It's a Space Empires game, text-based and played via web browser. There will be graphical elements for mapping, but that's about all I can go into for now about that. It is also a MMORTS, and it will be quite epic. Choosing the name UNIVERSE isn't just for the sake of sounding big; it will really be a large-scale environment, and there will only be one instance of it running. One Verse. One, very large, very expandable universe.

As a player, you are the leader of an industrious society who has reached a point in their social and technological development that they are ready to join and compete with the larger galactic community. Your goal is to grow, survive, and thrive by whatever means you see fit.  Whether your empire is a military or economic giant, or a diplomatic and social civilization, or perhaps a centre of high-tech marvels... it all depends on how you apply your resources, and how you get along with those around you.

One of this game's unique aspects - which I'm really looking forward to seeing how it gets used by players - is the existance and use of 'dead space'. Dead space? It's space with nothing in it as far as the environment is concerned. Players will be able to travel to dead space as they wish and do what they want with it.... which will include things like building outposts or space stations, or perhaps just parking a fleet in someone else's back yard to make a statement.

Well I guess that's all for now, I'll babble some more another time. I'm busy trying to build a game and don't actually want to talk too much about it before it's there; it's mostly in my head now, but the good stuff is making it a reality. Ta~

No comments:

Post a Comment