Saturday, March 9, 2013

Update#62 : GENESIS

I am now finished the core of the Genesis project. That is, all of the world-building stuff that needed to be done before I could move on, is finished. Thus, I can finally move on to other things... I can start whole new code files and web pages... and I can create a basic playing universe within which we can frolic and make war!


Maybe I'm just tired (it's almost 6am) but it doesn't even feel real to be finished this stage after working on it for so many months. I just don't know what to think of it!

I'm probably going to take a day or two off, to get done a couple little things that I promised myself to do once I finish with Genesis... another heap of laundry, a good dusting&cleaning of my desk, a bit of room-cleaning... all that good boring life stuff that most of us either hate to do, or just regularly do.

Next order of business: A new and complete mapping system (we currently only have an obsolete star-map, though it's still revolutionary, hehe!) and creating player asset objects (cities, outposts, fleets)


Continuing from the idea proposed in the last update, I came up with another little possibility; 'normal' difficulty allows players to pick an area from which their homeworld will be chosen so they could start closer with friends, while the nice-world 'easy' difficulty skips that option and is placed on any nice planet in the universe. Remember galaxies will be large and vast in this game; while other games might need only hours or minutes to cross a galaxy, crossing a galaxy in this game will likely take days. Therefore, while players who pick normal difficulty won't have as-nice of a homeworld, they will benefit from immediately having local friends to help them, while the 'easy' player would start out relatively alone. Thoughts?


Revealed : There are probably billions or even trillions of possible solar system formations in this game... And yet the real universe is far more diverse and interesting!


Good Night!

4 comments:

  1. Good idea but how bout the cost of new base i hope they are cheap xD

    I dont mind of the traveling speed but need something to do at the same time.

    by the way is it possible to make pirate fleet to fight with? get extra income.

    and commander could we attach a commander in the assuslt fleet its just so wrong of not having a commanding officer to lead an assuslt fleet :/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Realistically, every base and ship will have a command officer in charge, so right now I don't have a plan to attach a 'commander' to fleets and bases, though I might add one eventually.

      I plan for players to start with a well-established (but not fully-built) bases that they can start designing and building ships from right away; new bases will be expensive and take a while to really become productive.

      You can make fleets and use them for piracy, but they would still be marked with your empire so people will know it's you. I've been playing with an idea for another 'game mode' where a player would not be an 'empire' entity but more like a 'corporate' entity; instead of building an empire of planetary cities, they would build wealth and limited to space bases.... I guess this could also be considered a 'hard' mode, but with this mode a player might be allowed to play as traders, mercenaries, and pirates...

      Delete
  2. At first I wanted large galaxies in Explurse as well, but I later realized that having super-massive galaxies would make it to hard for guilds to "own" a galaxy (like we do with A14)and that's something that players like to do. I had to find the "right size" of galaxies. I don't know how much this will apply to Universe though. I am wondering if players will be able to use "empty space" or space between systems. Perhaps build advanced structures there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Galaxies really are massive, and so I will make them massive. It will be up to players where they want to draw the lines and set borders. There will likely be areas of star clusters that can be used as convenient territory zones; otherwise, it's just player definition.

      As for the use of empty space, Yes. One of the reasons that I spent a long time with just developing the coordinate system was to accomodate this feature, along with orbiting planets and moons. It's a bit complicated, but I have ideas set to make it fairly user-friendly to get around (basically, players won't see much of the raw coordinates). The use of empty space would probably count as an 'advanced feature' so I wouldn't require players to learn how to use it, but the option will be there for those who do want to use it.

      And with that, I've also had the idea since the beginning that players could establish bases in empty space, and it's something that I look forward to seeing because I'm curious how it will be used... and in response to your idea, a base in deep space would not be different from an orbital base. However, a space base would be different from one on a planet surface; they would be required for the construction of larger ships, in addition to other special facilities.

      Delete